This can be regarded as a very popular question among a lot of people who are hearing this term for the very first time. Some of us might know the meaning of this particular term. But at the same time, there might be a lot of people who have never come across this term. For those who don’t know, the Cum laude is one of the three “Latin honors” that an educational institution bestows on someone’s academic degree. Here, we will be discussing the vital aspects regarding cum laude meaning. Hence, this discussion can be regarded as very important for all those who haven’t heard this term before. We will be discussing the meaning of the phrase along with some interesting facts about it. So, without further delay, let’s get into our discussion of this phrase.
Cum laude meaning
We have already given a brief overview regarding this term in the introduction section. Here, we will be looking at the meaning of this term in detail. The meaning of this term is “with praise” or “with honor” in Latin. It represents an academic level of achievement. Most of the educational institutions use this particular phrase to signify an academic degree that has been awarded to someone with honorable excellence in academic coursework. In other words, it is appropriate to say that this phrase is indeed a mark of distinction that some students use on their resumes to indicate their success in their higher education.
Another essential feature of this phrase is that it is one of the three commonly used Latin honors designations which are recognized in the United States. The other two Latin honors are summa cum laude and magna cum laude. As we have already stated, these terms come from Latin and because of that they are often called Latin honors. They are very commonly used by educational institutions in the United States. But other than that, very few countries around the world use them. This honor is awarded to someone who has shown exceptional academic success. In addition to that, it also reflects strong grades.
Interesting facts about cum laude
- As we have already mentioned, Cum laude is one of the three “Latin honors” that is widely used by a number of educational institutions. It indicates a student’s academic excellence and achievements.
- The phrase cum laude meaning is “with distinction,” or “with honor,” or “with praise.” An even higher distinction or recognition is the phrase, magna cum laude. This phrase means “with high praise” or “with high honor.” In addition to that, the third honor, summa cum laude, bestows the highest honor on its recipient.
- Most educational institutions have different sets of academic criteria that must be fulfilled for each honor. In other words, the guidelines by which each academic honor is achieved may vary from institute to institute. Each institute typically outlines its expectations for each of these awards.
- Another essential fact about these honors is that the students are never allowed to apply or campaign for any of the Latin honors mentioned above.
- In addition to that the students must have a specific grade point average to be considered for this particular honor. Thus, they should show incredible academic excellence in order to be selected.
Thus, from our discussion of the topic, “cum laude meaning“, it can be concluded that it is nothing but a Latin honor. Here, we have discussed the meaning of this phrase in detail. Thereafter, we have also discussed some of the interesting facts regarding this particular phrase. Thus, this discussion can be regarded as extremely beneficial for all those who are confused about this particular phrase.